Human beings need more than the harsh reality to survive, we need to dream, we need art, fantasy ... I think fashion is one of the most affordable ways we have to be in touch with it. Fashion is fundamentally aspirational.
Meet the fantastic fashion designer and couture illustrator Javier Vela.
Can you tell a little about your background?
- I'm a creative and designer specialized in fashion. Currently my work is focused on illustration, especially in Haute Couture, which is one of my great passions, but I also develop complete collections as a freelancer and collaborate with prêt à porter brands, helping them in the design, coordination and other processes.
Who is your style icon?
- I love timeless icons, if we talk about fashion in capital letters, Cristóbal Balenciaga, his sense of luxury taken to the smallest detail and his iconic silhouettes can still be seen as one of the greatest influences on today's haute couture designers.
What's the best thing about being your own boss?
- Feeling solely responsible for your successes and failures, it is a very pleasant freedom feeling.
What are you most proud of?
- The last job is usually the one you are most proud of. Cause you always improve something with respect to the previous one. The seasons collaborating with Gaultier Couture or my last job for one of the greatest jewelers (I still can't say who it is, the work is not yet published) They are both especially important to me.
Why is fashion so inspiring?
- Human beings need more than the harsh reality to survive, we need to dream, we need art, fantasy ... I think fashion is one of the most affordable ways we have to be in touch with it. Fashion is fundamentally aspirational.
What is your favorite work of art?
- Claude Monet Water Lilies
1914-26, at the MOMA in New York. I still remember the first time I saw them, I
couldn't suppress the tears, I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but it's the truth.
What do you like most about expressing yourself creatively?
- Creativity is one of the most intimate forms of communication. Thanks to globalization and social media, feeling that someone on the other side of the world can appreciate or feel what you are trying to convey is absolutely wonderful.
What is your best advice to those who want to become a good illustrator?
- Always have maximum respect for work, yours and that of others, observe the work of the great ones, learn and then forget, find your own way of Expression.
For more inspiration, follow Javier Vela on instagram HERE
Follow TAMOTE fashion Magazine on instagram HERE
BookBeat has, together with one of Europe's leading publisher companies Bonnier Publications, the aim to create the market's best service for digital books. Here you will find thousands of audio and e-books:
- Customers is only paying 14,90 €/month.
- Listen / read as how much you wish
- No comitment
- 30 days free trial
Find out more HERE